Monday, April 11, 2011

Whooping it up for a week...


For the entire past week my family and friends have kept on celebrating my birthday with more dinners, more gifts and a baseball game...all these made turning the big 7-0 a lot easier to take than a 'normal' birthday...
I mean, I had birthday cakes, birthday wines, birthday Stolichnaya vodkas and birthday restaurant gift cards and birthday Amazon and Barnes and Nobel Kindle gift cards...
I am so tired today after having been driven and dined in San Diego while watching the Dodgers get beaten by the Padres, which we'll have to get used to as 2011 Dodger fans have little hope of finishing better than maybe third place in the Western Division of the National League...

But what a great day yesterday was...the weatherpeople predicted a coldish day but it was 65 to 70 degrees and sunny and warm all day in the circular confines of Petco Park...it makes Dodger Stadium look like a slum...it is a FANtastic park easy to get around, plenty of restrooms for old guys, hot dogs twice as large and better tasting than Dodger dogs and elevators going up and down from the street...
Beside driving there, my daughter Julie procured some outrageous seats almost behind home plate slightly on the first base side and about 15 rows up from the field...
The game had no Dodger highlights only Padre happy moments...good for them...the fans around our seats, and we had Dodger hats and gear on, applauded me when my name appeared on the scoreboard announcing 'happy 70th birthday to Pete Di Lallo' when my two daughters and grand daughter started clapping and yelling happy birthday Dad and Papa...
On our way into the park I semi-jokingly asked a few ushers if we were safe in our Dodger gear as they patted me on the back saying these were Padre fans and not like the fans who almost killed a Giant fan last week in Los Angeles...

1 comment:

Julie Hibbard said...

SUCH a fun day! Despite the score, my heart was happy the whole time. So glad you enjoyed your week of birthday celebrations...you deserve it!
So, one more time...Happy 70th Pops!