Tuesday, March 22, 2011

it was a cold and stormy night...

A few days ago I took a ride to the library, the same one where all those people couldn't wait to talk to me last time I was there, but this time I brought Sunny along...she's my 11 year old grand daughter who's been living with us for a year or so...I took her there a few weeks before when I returned a few books I'd borrowed... she was anxious to check the place out after reading my last blog...we had fun looking at all the people, most of them there to borrow books like we were....she and I had borrowed a few books each and yesterday we returned them and started looking for more...I made it over to the large print fiction section and I left her by the young adults shelves...
we met a few times at the table and chairs
in between to check out what we had selected...I spent an hour or so beforehand researching books for young girls between the ages of 10 and 14 or so and came up with a list of a few dozen of the most recommended ones...Thanks to Google I was able to print the titles, authors and short descriptions of the stories of most of them...
Since she's been living with us I've noticed not only that she's an A student but she reads almost every day...not much of a TV watcher except for a few shows like Glee, The Mentalist and Modern Family...she's a kind of kid who does her homework the minute she gets home from school...
When I'm reading she usually comes over to see what page I'm on and a little while later checks back to see my progress...she loves to keep track of the number of pages I read in a day...
I was happy to pick up Joe Torre's The Yankee Years along with a James Patterson book called London Bridges...she found a Judy Blume book and another the title which I can't remember..she is a little different than I am in that she says she often picks out books by their covers...I told her the one about not judging by the cover, and all that, but she stood fast with the book she selected, about a young girl who's father is running for governor...
After we checked the books out she was reading the governor book as we walked to my car in the parking lot and kept reading it all the way home...what a great kid...she's a lot like her cousin Allison who also reads avidly and with whom I exchange books...

5 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

And she will ALWAYS remember that you took her to the library...

Such a great way to spend time, reading.
And hanging out with your Grandpa ain't bad either.

Good job, Papa

Allison said...

I love that Sunny goes with you...and I'm a little jealous, actually!

I finished Quentins! Really cute!

I just finished The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman...you would LOVE it. It's so good!

Tell Sunny I could recommend a few for her, too. (I'm reading The Phantom Tollbooth right now.)

PETE Di LALLO said...

Sunny reads our blogs so she will probably see your comment...I'll be sure to remind her...and don't be too jealous because it'll be a long time before she and I exchange books to read like us...you and I have a nifty thing going on...

TSHarrison said...

Enjoying the Alex Cross novels?

PETE Di LALLO said...

Hey Trevor,
I am a big fan of James Patterson and especially Alex Cross...I assume you like to read Patterson too...his other detective character in New York with the ten kids is also a favorite as are the ladies in San Francisco...