Wednesday, June 30, 2010

As a former Catholic I can’t help but spend an hour or so every week searching out Catholic or Pope stories on line…I had no intentions of writing anything but today I can’t help it…probably another mortal sin on my soul…Catholic guilt never goes away…

The Pope is expected to name a new papal delegate who will take care of the Legionnaires of Christ, a special order who’s primary job is to bring new men to the priesthood…But the Legionnaires are plagued with scandal…After years of denial, the order admitted last year that its founder, Rev. Marciel Maciel, had sexually abused seminarians and had fathered a child…it now says he had at least three children…probably the ladies of the Altar Society were to blame...

You know what really gets me? Even as allegations against the reverend grew, the Legionnaires had long been favored by the then Pope John II for its success in bringing in new seminarians! Just this past week 26 new Legionnaires were ordained in Rome, which goes to prove that the scandal hasn’t completely taken away the Order’s ability to attract new men to the priesthood…

As a former Catholic I’ve just about lost complete faith in the Church’s leadership and I’m coming close to losing my faith completely…let me warn you if you see me, don’t stand too close…I’m keeping an eye out for lighting bolts from the sky…

Meanwhile the present Pope, Benedict XVI, is wrapping up his Vatican business, yes business, before going on vacation for the rest of the summer at the papal retreat in Castel Gandolfo in the southern hills of Rome…it’s the lovely little summer place pictured above…

3 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

Wow...former Catholic? Your mother is no doubt, rolling over in her grave at this moment.
It's a crazy, sick, sad state that the church has gotten itself into. Too bad they didn't admit it and punish people LONG ago...imagine how many poor young boys and girls could have been saved from the torture.
I don't think the lightening bolts will be coming toward you...
but I think I'll stay far away from the southern hills of Rome...

TSHarrison said...

"I’m coming close to losing my faith completely" - I hope that's not true.
The Church, capital and lower, has always had it's issues. But greed, wars, sex, indulgences...none of those describe Jesus. He's always been faithful and worth a little faith.
I'd rather live in a world with the influence of a flawed church than live in the hell that would remain without it.

PETE Di LALLO said...

Trevor,
Thanks for your comment...I didn't mean exactly what I wrote, I should have written 'losing my faith in regards to the Catholic Church's leadership... I have not and never will lose my faith in Christ...I will always believe in Him...