Tuesday, July 6, 2010

THE BEAUTY OF THE GAME


Looking at sports magazines or newspaper sports pages I read how a sport that America doesn’t play as well as the rest of the world is dull and boring…I’ve watch two or three World Cup soccer games in the past few weeks and realize that not every soccer game is fun to watch…I’m a baseball fan but it’s not that much fun watching last place teams play…at least in baseball games a few commercial breaks are tossed in while in soccer the ‘action’ is non-stop and you have to pay attention for 45 minutes in a row…and to have to listen to those vuvuzella horns all that time is a real pain…

To make matters worse I don’t like that soccer games sometimes end in ties…I want a loser and a winner, not equality…there’s no equality in sports unless you’re a last place team, and who wants to watch them…besides I don’t understand the rules of soccer other than you can’t touch the ball with your hands…but what about off-sides and what are those cards for that the referee hands out to the players? I’ve been thinking of asking my two local grandsons who have played the game but they have no interest in even watching the World Cup games…

If I wanted to learn more about soccer I’d go to a sports bar, pound a few beers and get into the crowd noise and probably discover that soccer is not boring after all…but Nah, I ain’t gonna go…

3 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

I love sports...but I don't get soccer at all either!! I won't make fun of it tho, because I know so many people who love it! They don't get baseball either...and all I ask is that they don't say that it's boring...so I don't say anything negative about soccer. (To them!)
I hope it's almost over!!

Bring on baseball!!

TSHarrison said...

I actually prefer soccer to basketball. I understand the offsides and the red and yellow cards. But I don't understand traveling or lack of traveling in the NBA. And I'm not impressed with 7 ft tall men with 8 ft wing spans and 3-4 ft verticals putting a ball in a 10 ft hoop. How do they ever miss? Now Spud Webb was impressive.

BUM said...

Pete..you are still funny after all these years....THANK YOU