Saturday, February 16, 2008

I WISH I....


As a kid my parents made me take 'classical' piano lessons… for seven years! My Dad played guitar and sang Italian songs… (Saturday in the park?) I always wished I could have studied ‘fun piano’ instead, because as soon as I came back from lessons on Saturday morning they made me sit down and play them a tune…I’d gripe a little about wanting to get outside to play hockey in the street with my freezing little Canadian buddies, but eventually started cranking out a Brahms, Bach or Beethoven little ditty or at least a good attempt at it...I’d be into it for about 30 seconds and then I’d glance around at my parents’ waiting for approval or applause as they were quietly leaving the room…a minute or two later they’d call me for lunch…leftover macaroni and meatballs AGAIN?
I soon learned, upon returning from lessons and without being asked, to begin practicing ‘scales’, pretty freaking simple and easy to play…the parents would say “sounds good, love to hear you practice” as they left the room…

3 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

And then you learned, "Hard-Hearted Hannah" and "Ain't She Sweet" and "Sesame Street" and OH so many more that we used to sing and dance to as you played! That was so fun!!! I loved when you played piano and we would make up dances and cheers to the music. GAY, yes...but so much fun. Thanks for taking lessons. The only thing I ever heard your dad play on the guitar was "Frankie and Johnny"...I didn't know that he knew anything else!
Thanks for this fun memory blog!!!

Heather McTaggart said...

Did you do the same to your girls? Isn't that the way it's supposed to be?

Allison said...

I wish your piano was in tune so we could sing during holiday parties!