Thursday, June 2, 2011

"THE KING STILL RULES."

Ever since I received a Kindle for my birthday I’ve been buying book after book on Amazon.com, with literally hundreds of books available for free or very little.

Stephen King has graced us kindle owners with a bit of surprise.
He writes: “You invested/wasted $2.99 on about 4 hours of reading time. You did NOT invest/waste $5 on a movie at the theater. You did NOT get in your car. And therefore you were NOT killed in a fiery crash with a drunk. You are now in a different Ur and have 20 or 50 more years to invest/waste.”
This is the message from this first E-book on a fictional E-book.

Following is a compilation of reviews for his novel UR:
After a mild mannered college professor orders a Kindle, he is met with a pink Kindle that downloads books not only from Amazon.com, but from Urs. Each of the more than 10 million Urs seem to represent a different reality where authors have written different books. "UR" -- is slightly odd shorthand for "universe" -- a delightful little gem that is King's welcome to E-books, with his own patented way of turning an object into a source of fantasy or terror. It's also his take on the parallel worlds idea that advances that there is an infinite number of universes. One version is that every action splits off THIS universe into the next one. Ever wanted to read the unpublished Hemingway book, or six Poe novels?

Reviews, continued:
I read in bed at night, and I thought, hmm...I'm reading a book about a man who bought a Kindle on my Kindle! How strange is that? I'd call it a long short story and not the best one King has written; however, the enjoyment came from the novelty and King's always magical plots involving human beings in all their diversity. I loved it.
It's not very long, and it's a tightly written tale that will have you looking very carefully at your Kindle's "Experimental" menu.

I downloaded this book today and it arrived wirelessly in less than 30 seconds. Every day or two I get free or almost free books on Amazon.com. In a little over a month I’ve acquired 22 books…The Kindle will hold thousands, or at least hundreds; I have to find out one of these days…I like being able to carry several books with me …I never know when I might get tired of reading a certain book and want to switch to a Sherlock Holmes or a Mark Twain short story…I haven’t read this one yet but I thought for kindle readers and Stephen King lovers you should know about it.

3 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

I bet it's not available at the bookstore in hardcover, huh? So cool!!!

PETE Di LALLO said...

I'll check out the non-kindle edition and let you know...

PETE Di LALLO said...

UR is available only on Kindle...thru Amazon, but it can be read on your i-Pad I think...check it out...