Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Love it or never mind…



While cleaning out a bookshelf in our den the other day to make room for some newer ones I had just finished reading I came upon The Stand…it brought back so many great memories of my first reading it that I pulled it aside and decided to re-read it…I seldom read the same book twice but I thought this one might keep me busy for a week or two…it also saves me a few bucks instead of buying new books...our grand daughter Sunny, who’s become quite the reader herself, was amazed at its gigantic size and immediately looked at the last page to see how many pages were there … it looks like it’s printed in 10 point type and totals over 1100 pages…
make that a month’s worth of reading…

I brought the book along on our long-weekend trip up north a few days ago and read a few chapters but it’s the most fun reading during my lunch at the office and while semi-watching the Dodgers on TV who have no chance of going anywhere this year…

This novel, one of Stephan King’s most popular, is the story about a man-made plague wiping out 99-44/100 % of the world’s population with only a handful of survivors remaining, a good group led by Mother Abagail who leads them in dreams and the other by Randall Flagg, the dark man, who leads the bad guys…not knowing why, the survivors undertake a mission of going to Boulder, Colorado…they don’t know it’s for a meeting of Good vs. Evil….

I read this book in the early 90’s and saw the TV movie , but the book was so much better; I find that books are always better than the movie…I am re-enjoying this one because I love the way Stephan King writes…

If you love to read this is a wonderful book…if you don't ...well, never mind…

1 comment:

Julie Hibbard said...

You finished already? I remember reading that book in 91--on a trip to NYC! I carried it around for a week and had several people ask if I was reading the dictionary!
It is still one of my favorites! May have to pull that out and read it again too...it's a good workout too!