Monday, May 3, 2010

SNEAKING OUT

The fanciest book I’ve read lately is Great Expectations…I’ve had the ‘leather lined 100 best books ever written’ book for years and even though it’s one of the shortest books written by Charles Dickens, I had never read it…I finished it in about a week and even tho Charles is hard to read for the first hundred pages or so after a while I got the hang of his sentence structure and funny old English spelling…

I’ve been trying to save a few bucks by reading books I’ve had laying around and on the bookshelf for years…I remember reading David Copperfield, Oliver Twist and A Tale of Two Cities before without too much trouble…reading novels by current popular authors has made it difficult and not as much fun to read the inspiring Dickens…

Allison loaned me a few books that I zapped thru and my lovely bride bought me a Sue Grafton novel last week that I devoured…’Trespassing’ was easy to read and was a good story…her books are named from A to T so far...this one is the 20th in the series but I'll wait a while to read the first 19...

Over the weekend we snuck out to Target and I hung out in the books section while Bum was shopping for whatever and bought two books: “The 9th Judgment”, by James Patterson and the latest by Mary Higgins Clark “The Shadow of Your Smile” for Bum…it felt good to get the books at 30% off…I started reading mine at lunch today and it was hard to put down....

We snuck out that same day with a hankering to eat garlic fries and a burger but never made it there…instead we ate at The Soup Plantation on the way and enjoyed a healthier meal…except for the penne pasta soaking in lemon sauce and capers…holy cow that was good…I started with a salad piled high in the plate and I didn’t feel too guilty eating one plate of pasta…and it was for sure better for me than the garlic fries would have been…

1 comment:

Julie Hibbard said...

Great Expectations is one of my favorite books of all time. I often refer to Miss Havasham...the lady who stayed in her wedding clothes, with the ceremony waiting--for years and years and years when her betrothed did not show up. "Surely he'll show up today..." she would say, every single day.
Pip is full of life--despite his horrible life--and I believe that's what inspires me to enjoy each day.
I am reading lots of old ones too. I have hundreds of books here that I have never read. It's time. And, while I am waiting for MY betrothed to show up, I'll at least be reading!