Tuesday, March 10, 2009

THE NEW CATHOLIC DUI: TEXTING DURING LENT

Italian Catholics are sacrificing texting for Lent!!!  
After beginning in three dioceses in Italy a campaign to give up texting, as well as social networking and computer games has spread to other parts of Italy...(too much wine?)

This effort, after earlier comments by Pope Benedict XVI's  praising young people 's ability to link new media with their desire to be connected to others as fulfilling our deepest need to become fully human...  He also added that loving is what we are designed for by our Creator...(at times the Pope knows what he's talking about)

But, the Pope "warned against an obsessive desire for virtual connectedness which may isolate individuals from real social interaction; it would disrupt patterns of rest, silence and reflection that are necessary for healthy human development."...
(I dig silence...isn't that why we text?)

For Lent I'm giving up John Wayne movies on TV...I've done it for years even tho it's almost impossible to live without those great old Western movies...



3 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

You USED to give up wrestling alligators! You were SO good at that too!
I think we communicate MORE than ever now that we have computers and texting. I love it.
Never giving it up.

Gina Vistaunet said...

I used to give up fighting with my brothers. I have now taught the boys to give up fighting with their sister.

Silver Eye Photography said...

Peter - This is so funny, I am laughing so bad. I have not volunteered to give anything up yet. I have giving up things lately because I have had to cut back :( - About Social Networking, I just got hooked on FaceBook about three weeks. LOVE having all these friends and love reading about what you guys are up to. Nancy Ramos