Tuesday, July 22, 2008

It ain’t just about blowing smoke…


It’s impossible to find a better smoke than cigars from Havana…The best cigars in the world, hands down, come from Cuba
The Havana…cigar of connoisseurs…

As soon as we landed in Puerto Rico on our way to our Caribbean cruise
my buddies and I each bought a box of fifty Cuban cigars so we could smoke some playing golf in the islands, and have plenty left for future golf in the California… we knew we weren’t allowed to bring them back the States but thought we’d worry about that when the time came…

When the island hopping was over and almost back to Puerto Rico, the cruise director said to not even try to smuggle cigars out of Puerto Rico …getting caught called for a search of all your luggage, a fine and confiscation of the cigars…we de-shipped the ship and were instructed to put our suitcases at a certain place on the docks…the three border guys looked big, grumpy, kind of chunky and scary…they were all smoking eight inch long stogies…(I wonder where their cigars came from?) …they asked the custom-ary questions, I didn’t look at them in the eye much because I felt like I had that look in my eyes…I thank God every day for Donas who starts long conversations with everyone she meets…these guys had had enough… they talked in Spanish to themselves for a few seconds, then let us thru…

Back at the hotel I laughingly told Donas that earlier I’d put about 45 cigars in the bottom of the gigantic purse she carried around all the time in which were T-shirts from every island we visited…she picked the bag up and repeatedly bounced it on the floor…up and down, up and down…she can be hilarious at times…a few of the savory stogies got crunched up but the rest lived on to future golf outings…my buddies had them hidden somewhere but we never talked about it when our wives were within hearing distance…

3 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

You are a smuggler! You broke the law! You 'planted' the stogies on mom!
You're good...very good!!
I admire you even more now!!
:)

Gina Vistaunet said...

They would never EVER think that mom would smuggle anything. She probably new all their names and invited them to Christmas whenever they were coming to California. Again, I'm pretty sure I was adopted.

TSHarrison said...

Very nice.
The church I was on staff with in North Carolina, several of the other ministers and I had a cigar club.
Late night meetings smoking our stogies, those were some great moments.
We had to be a little hush hush though, cause the senior didn't entirely approve, or so we thought, we just never invited him in case he didn't.