Thursday, June 12, 2008

For Julie and Gina...first car

You were asking for a look at my first car?
A real beauty, eh?
It was a 1949 and I bought it with my own money, $50 cash around 1957...had to work two weeks to save up that much...
I spent another $50 and had it painted fire engine red at Earl Scheib's, then another $100 for a new black convertible top...

I always wanted to take it down to TJ and have it tucked and rolled but I never got around to it...well, to tell the truth, I had friends who wanted to go down there with me, and while my car was getting Tucked they had
'other' ideas, which didn't mean just drinking beer...so I never went...

It wasn't that hot of a car in those days but probably worth $15,000 or more today...
The De Soto car company went out of business around 1965...

4 comments:

Allison said...

This is amazing! You bought a car for less than what I spend on one tank of gas these days...less than one pair of jeans...less than I spend on coffee each month...

And it's a beautiful car, too!

Julie Hibbard said...

It's gorgeous! So beautiful. I am sure there is a picture of you with the car somewhere too!
$50. Wow.
I just spent $50 at the market...and I carried it out in one bag.
Those were the days!

Gina Vistaunet said...

What a nice story. Like Alli and Julie say, $50 doesn't buy much today. I spent $50 on coolant for my car last night.

Ange said...

oh wow!!! This is SO amazing! I wish you had a picture of you in it...if you happen to find one please post it!!!