Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A PATTERN LANGUAGE


We’ve been spending a day a week or so cleaning out the storage place we rented when we moved our office to Riverside a year and a half ago…after filling the new office quickly in order to continue working, a lot of our stuff was packed and stored away.


In an unmarked box in the back I found some old books including one called ‘A Pattern Language’. I’ve had it since 1977 and remember using it to look for ideas in designing outdoor and indoor spaces…


One of the main premises of the book is that people should design for themselves, their houses, streets and neighborhood. Languages, like the language we speak, allow people to articulate and communicate a multitude of design patterns.



Patterns, the units of this language, are answers to design problems…(How high is a window sill?, How and what kind of space should in a house, or how much space should be devoted to grass and trees in a neighborhood ?)
In our design profession we're forever looking for ideas on how to design outdoor spaces as fully as indoor spaces…


It'll be fun reviewing this book, and just when I thought I knew it all…

3 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

That is such a beautiful picture too! I love that I have designed my own home...it is exactly how I had dreamed it would be...it's easy and comfortable and designed for OTHERS to feel good too!
Love you!

Gina Vistaunet said...

If I was to design my house, it would have a huge backyard and a porch out front and a super tiny kitchen with just a microwave and an ice chest.

Heather McTaggart said...

YEAH GINA...ME TOO! Ok, here is a design question that keeps me awake at night...in our new home (moving around the middle of May) we have a REALLY ugly fireplace, WHAT WHAT WHAT am I going to do to make it better? I have heard paint it, it will STILL be in the middle of the room! I have heard BUILD something for it to take away from the UGLINESS....I will STILL know it's UGLY! Without being more specific...IT'S FREAKING UGLY! HELP PETE HELP!!!