Thursday, May 8, 2008

An easy game…hard to play…



Imagine finishing up a round of golf…

If you’re ever slightly depressed with your score after 18 holes, and I’m certainly one of those, I go to the bar, get a tall cool beer, go back out to the patio, light up a cigar and watch other golfers coming in on the 18th hole…


I softly shake my head and smile while watching others miss their putts, try to hit out of sand bunkers or look for their balls in the lake…I enjoy the view and the moment… we’re all the same…it's what brings us back the next time… and I often think about these golf truisms…


  • Golf is the perfect thing to do on Sunday because you always end up praying a lot.

  • It takes longer to learn to be a good golfer than it does to become a brain surgeon. You don’t get to ride around in a cart, drink beer, smoke cigars and eat hot dogs if you’re performing brain surgery.

  • Golf balls are like eggs. They’re white. They’re sold by the dozen and you need to buy fresh ones every week.

  • Every time a golfer makes a birdie he must subsequently make two triple bogies to restore the fundamental equilibrium of the universe.


Sometimes playing nine more holes helps brighten the day or, depending on how many beers you’ve had, playing nine more and not keeping score is very cool…

2 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

I love the smiley ball picture!! I love this post too. You being happy is the best picture of all!
So glad you get to play so often and practice so much and enjoying so much! (and drink beer too.)
:)

Heather McTaggart said...

For the record my daughter has PINK golf balls...so not all come in white! I think the pink ones are cute but I was informed that "cute" is NOT a golf term! I love that you love golf so much!