Tuesday, February 26, 2008

More of Julie’s “Let’s give ‘em something to blog about’…


Are magazines going to be obsolete?

There will likely be some decline in magazines, but maybe not that many…
BECAUSE READING IS GOOD!
There seems be too many magazines that report or publish the same thing…how many movie starlets and divas can we read about? Not that I read this stuff…honest I don’t…I don’t hardly know or recognize actors and actresses anymore and don’t go to too many movies…I don’t read People magazine and other similar ones except at my dentist and doctor’s offices…I’ve started bringing a book with me when I expect to wait, for business meetings too…it’s handy to have a magazine on you, but I can look up most of these on my computer if I care to… I spend hours a day on a computer and I don’t want to be near one at home…

But there are times there’s nothing BETTER than having a magazine in hand…with maybe a bit of cheese and wine...
It’s tough to beat reading a magazine at the park, beach, the back yard or Starbucks…
I like reading golf mags or a book in a fast food parking lot when I’m on the road or at the office eating lunch…
I hardly buy magazines at the market, but occasionally I’ll pick up a NEW CARS or a Golf mag…
I LOVE National Geographic every month… it can be read in small increments with time to savor outstanding photos of countries, peoples, animals...I wouldn’t even think of looking up these topics on a computer…yet they magically appear in every issue...
Time and Sports Illustrated are a good way to get briefs on newsworthy articles like politics and baseball…and I like quick reads…and what would we do without professional and business magazines?
TV has much to offer with travel, history and cooking shows…shows with information you can get in magazines…but sometimes it's so nice to simply watch the tube with the cheese and wine...
We need good magazines, books and computers to stay up with the times…
I love to read the LA Times even tho it has political views I don’t agree with but it has the best sports and comics…if you don’t believe me, ask Julie…
because reading is fun...


3 comments:

Heather McTaggart said...

I only read magazines when we go to our Harbor House. Once a year I read the junk magazines, People, US, etc and I have realized I have NO IDEA who these people are and find myself not caring! Sign of old age or self diagnosed ADD? I love my Treo because when I have to wait somewhere I can read my emails or play a game of cards on it! Again...self diagnosed ADD!

Julie Hibbard said...

...Magazines will never be obsolete for one simple reason:

they will always be the most convenient thing to read while on the toilet.

brad johnson said...

Sports Illustrated through college basketball season, or during an Olympic year is da' bomb...very good.

I subscribed to Runner's World for eleven years and learned to be anorexic (I'm in obvious recovery).

But I think, Pete, I could recommend "Wine and Cheese Lovers" magazine to you....if there isnt such a magazine...there should be...