Friday, December 21, 2007

Lost and found?


Guys never have to ask for directions...

When I bought my car a few years ago options on it were a GPS system, a DVD player and a third seat in the rear...they added a few extra bucks to the cost but were 'built-ins' I couldn't pass up...the GPS for me... the DVD and third seat for grand kids...

Picking up or delivering plans, I 'needed' the GPS to find cities, governmental agencies and job sites from San Diego to L.A. ...I formerly looked up directions on Yahoo or Map Quest and had to read them on my way, not easy to do while driving... The GPS talks in a man's voice (I can change it to a woman's voice but for some reason haven't done it) and tells you when a turnoff is coming up, how many miles away it is...what lane to get into...it delivers you to within 15 feet of the address you've written in...How do it know??? It even programs a return trip...

In the past I've gotten lost, like in downtown L. A., not knowing which way North is or how to get back to the office...my home and office are now programmed into the system...I just click and it tells me the shortest or alternate way back...hence, my lost and found device as my wife calls it...

I can find gas stations, airports, city halls, ATM's, restaurants and points of interest by simply clicking into the hand held remote or the gadget on the steering wheel...

We once took a drive up north with my Mom and Dad and I talked about how great the GPS is...so on the way back I clicked it on and my Mom could hear verbal directions and loved it...when we approached L.A. the voice said to get off at a certain freeway but I ignored it and took a different way, as we were taking them to their home and not to our house as I had programmed...the GPS voice kept on saying "get in the right lane! get in the right lane!blah, blah...a little further on it said "the first chance you get make a U-turn...it was annoying so I said out loud "Shut the hell up and leave me alone!
My Mom said: "Be quiet or he'll hear you!!!

Hand held GPS's are now available and are quite inexpensive...especially handy if you drive more than one car...they make a great "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year" gift...

p.s. if you miss a turn and end up on a different road or street the GPS 'finds' you and within one minute or so automatically re-programs your destination ...



5 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

Given that I very rarely leave a 10 mile radius, I have never thought I needed a GPS. But I am starting to think it might be a really good idea. You have sold me! You should do a commercial for them!
Love Nana's comment. I always tell people that!!
:)

Heather McTaggart said...

I LOVE this device and want to think of a million reasons to get one, but like Julie...work, school, Spectrum...all within 10 miles! My life is boring and I don't go far...often!

Insured Asset Solutions said...

I'm having an OM Navigation System/DVD Player/Satalite/Back Up Camera installed in my Camry next month. I can't wait. Here's the link. It does a lot of super cool things like charge the iPod, along with a virtural scroll wheel and touch screen key pad.

http://www.valordvd.com/product/Productinformation.asp?pc=Signature%20Line&productid=TCR-07

PETE Di LALLO said...

Thanks Brian,
This new product sounds like it'll to a lot of things all built in one...
I don't have time to look it up today, the day I begin my Christmas shopping, but will research it soon...

Eliane said...

Pete, you have convinced me!
I find myself in new areas all the time and I like short road trips too.
It is now going on my wish list.
Wish I could hear Nana’s voice on it once in a while though.