Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Sneaked up on me

For years Columbus Day was one of my favorite semi-holidays celebrating what I thought was one of few Italian heroes...I recently discovered the holiday was good for a spaghetti and meatball dinner and not much else...
when I was a kid Italian Catholic Churches held huge parades in the streets of Montreal...because he was Italian born...
Times have changed and now Chris is hated more and more...
I found some interesting tid-bits on him you know where...


Columbus is responsible for the murder of millions of indigenous people.

Columbus was a slavetrader in Africa before invading America. He began the slave trade in the Americas. He deserves no holiday, no parades, no statues.

Columbus Day celebrates the doctrine of discovery – the legal process that stole Indian people's territories, and that continues today.

Columbus brought a philosophy of domination to the Americas that persists today – domination of other peoples, domination of the environment, domination of other belief systems, domination of women by men.






1 comment:

Julie Hibbard said...

What a bastard! All those years that we celebrated him. Well, I don't think I ever really celebrated him. The day might not have had school, but I did not pause to reflect on the many wonderful blessings that Chris gave us.
Apparently the post office still likes him...they DO take his day off.