Wednesday, October 3, 2007

NO MATTER HOW YOU SPELL IT...


It was a slow day today and found out a few things...Google, of course...I didn't have THAT much time...
It's been bugging me for years...what's the difference with these two names?
In 17th century China Ke-tsiap was a spicy pickled fish-sauce condiment and said to be the origin of the name Ketchup...
British sailers brought it home to Britain and New England discovering something needed to be added to it...adding tomatoes to the mixture it became a very tasty condiment and the name ketchup was born...
In 1876 Heinz introduced it; then as other manufacturers brought it to market more variations of the spelling took place...
Soon there were Ketchups, Catsups, Catchups and even Katsocks!
Today one can find Heinz Ketchup, Del Monte Catsup and Hunts who calls it Catsup on the East Coast and Ketchup on the West...

SECRET LIVES OF KETCHUP LOVERS
If you want to learn the more about a person, look no further than how they pour their ketchup. From dippers and squirters, to sprinklers and smotherers, psychologist Donna Dawson has identified seven "sauciological" types.
Those who dunk into a well of ketchup are methodical and trustworthy. But they may also be control freaks who are afraid of change. Ambitious people splodge their sauce in the middle of their food. Creative types squirt and swirl their sauce in thin lines. But deep down they are impatient and do not tolerate fools or time wasting. Those who dot their ketchup are friendly, but live conservatively and dream of adventure holidays. Smotherers are the life and soul of the party, while artists who draw faces and words on their food have an easy-going approach to life. And gourmets who keep ketchup in a cruet appear charming, but deep down may be snobbish social climbers.

7 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

Wow. Seriously never knew any of that! I have to have Zac read this one!!
:)

Gina Vistaunet said...

This is great to know. The useless knowledge section of my brain is getting pretty full. I don't think I would ever use ketchup if it was called katsock. Just gross.

Heather McTaggart said...

Here's a new one...my husband squirts it in his mouth from the little packets when he is driving and eating! Yes, it's gross and it grosses me out but we laugh everytime! We have since given up fast food in this family so we have been without the catsup laugh for awhile! I on the other hand, NOT a fan of catsup, katsup or however you spell it! I hear the Trader Joe's Organic one is good but I won't be the taste tester! SORRY!

Steve Adams said...

I think Catsup...or Ketchup is an amazing condiment. You can put in on just about anything... It saves dry meatloaf...and is good on eggs.. Pete I think you should do another study on how people get it to flow out of the glass bottle.. shaking, sticking the butter knife in...and what it says about them. There are marks on the Heinz bottles which if tapped correctly will make it flow out smoothly.

PETE Di LALLO said...

Steve,
Thanks for the 'great idea' about doing more research...
when I posted this blog my only intent was to post...I'm getting close to 50 blogs...that's my only goal in life these days...Julie and Allison have posted hundreds and hundreds...
like Gina wrote, this is totally useless knowledge...only Julie's son ZAC who is nuts about ketchup may get a very small kick out of it...
years ago when Donas babysat him during the day she discovered he was a ketchup worshiper and he'd often ask: "Do you have anyting to eat that I can put ketchup on?"

Ange said...

Wow. This is such GREAT information! I've always wondered the same thing. Thank you Jesus for Google.

Allison said...

I pronounce it "Ketchup" and always have way too much on my plate...but I gave it up recently, since it is so high in sodium...maybe I'll pick up Heather's T.J version!