Saturday, September 24, 2011

BOOKS...no commercials

I spent a few hours of fun this week reading titles of 1000 best and/or famous books bringing back good memories trying to recall where I was when I read them...some of them I read as a young kid when we didn't have TV growing up in Montreal; some in college, but most at home as a dad while the kids were crying their heads off...reading is a wonderful distraction from real life especially when your spouse takes care of them. Why did I do this exercise? Because for the past six months I’ve been on a reading kick and been devouring novels and short stories like they’re going out of style. Being semi-retired has its benefits sometimes.

Some of my old favorites include Jules Verne (Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea), Alexander Dumas (The Count of Monte Christo), Herman Melville (Moby Dick), Agatha Christie (and Then There Were None), and Robert Lewis Stevenson (Treasure Island).
Lately I’ve found several on-line sites offering free or very inexpensive e-Books for my Kindle. Kindle-ing is a great way to go...while reviewing tons of books I saw many authors and books I’ve always wanted to read but have never gotten around to reading.

I've read about 95 of those thousand famous books. Years ago I began reading best sellers like James Patterson, Dean Koontz, Clive Cussler, John Grisham, Mary Higgins Clark, Stephen King and about a dozen others who’s latest books I have a hard time staying away from…I don’t hardly have yard work to do anymore, the house needs a bit of painting here and there and I hope to one day paint something...I don’t think anyone can read 8 hours a day but reading is a nice way to spend a few hours (a few time a day) and I’m not going to stop reading these favorites. (A home office can be a real curse for readers)

But I’ve always had a desire to read some of the early 20th and late 19th century authors...when I watch an old movie from a book by one of these authors or if I don’t have a good answer to (A question really) to Jeopardy 20th century authors’ category it makes me want to read these people.
As I was reading the list of 1000 I jotted down authors' names and book titles that wrung a bell for me...just about everybody’s heard of these authors or books:
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald,
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller (I did see the movie and liked it),
Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut,
The Sun Also Rises and A Farewell to Arms by Hemingway,
On the Road by Kerouac,
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger,
Main Street by Sinclair Lewis,
War and Peace by Tolstoy (On second thought it may be a bit too long to keep my attention…I might order the movie from Netflix instead)
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Smith
Herzog by Saul Bellows
Don Quixote by Cervantes

From now on I'll be reading a Hemingway then Patterson...F. Scott Fitzgerald/John Grisham...Jane Austen/Dean Koontz...yup, that’s it……

18 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

I am SOOO glad you love your Kindle! And I know it's helped with the stacks of books at your house.
I read so much in my 6 months at the apartment...not much else to do there!
I must say, I look forward to sitting down and reading again. The end of baseball is near...I think I see Jane Austen in the distance.

Allison said...

I loved A Tree Grows in Brooklyn...and you know Gatsby is my favorite.

Catch-22 and Slaughterhouse 5 were great, too.

Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the suggestions...I will read them in that order...and I know for sure that A Tree and Gatsby are available on Kindle...God forbid I have to read a heavy paper book...

Anonymous said...

Tory Burch Boots are hot sale for its fashion and comfort design. All the tory burch here are of the latest style and originated in USA. If you are interested in our fashion shoes.welcome to shopping from our store. all the shoes here sale at cheap price with fast shippment.Tory Burch Flats,Tory Burch Sandals, Tory Burch Flip Flops all available here. Just buy from our store.

Unknown said...

Olá amigo, gostei do seu blog.
Interessante voce gostar de ler, isso é muito bom. Tenho uma filha, engenheira e professora, que é amante da leitura. Está criando uma biblioteca no apartamento dela. Eu também sou professora, mas já não leio tanto quanto ela, às vezes acho enfadonho, prefiro escrever. Espero ler mais coisas a seu respeito no seu blog. Um abraço da Cida.

janzi said...

Well, what have you been up to since your last blog last year, and here we are almost already in JUNE 2012!!!!! Its no good saying you dont like retirement much, who does really... I cant say I do.. where do the days go, but blogging is great and a new adventure for me, so get back blogging and then we can know how you are.. all the best J

FREE MOVIES said...

FREE ADVERTISING DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

personal-injury-lawyer

auto-insurance

Free ipad 3

free movies

Free Mobile Spy

FREE MOVIES said...

FREE ADVERTISING DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

personal-injury-lawyer

auto-insurance

Free ipad 3

free movies

Free Mobile Spy

visio 2010 sale said...

A high level beginer when it comes to Visio ShapeSheet prescriptions, a lot of these prescriptions a lot like products with Ms excel, and you incorporate the use of all these supplements to publish the course together with recalculate a layouts.Clients will never view a dialog Microsoft visio 2010 download proverbial box, a access point of this pen], aren't able to in the slightest gain access to this particular discussion system. Anyone could certainly switch to control over the tablet Visio 2010 for the handwriting application, so that you can pimp out ink cartridge pencils content and articles. ShapeSheet spreadsheet is usually conserved Visio 2010 download Visio sketch info. Inside the ShapeSheet after only preceding versions about Visio treatment remains appropriate. Microsoft visio 2010

Unknown said...

I love your suggestions a lot... Sooooo Nice post.. Thanks for sharing with us.
Please visit on these keywords: -- screwless light switch | Touch light switches | dimmer switches | led light bulbs | Glass light switches

Unknown said...

Very nice blog, Thanks for sharing with me...






Also click on these keywords :-- Wireless Home alarm | Wireless Home Security | ADT Wireless Alarm Monitoring | Home alarm | Burglar alarm systems

Unknown said...

Nice
-------
Fun Gags

Clifford Toge K. said...

nyc

Unknown said...

I love to read, too! I like to just sit down, relax, and have a good book in hand. I don't think I've read any of the books on your list, except for a small portion of Pride and Prejudice. I've read Jane Eyre, by Charloote Bronte. It's actually a decent book.

Anonymous said...

świetne ! zapraszam do siebie . Obserwuję .

Kelebek Nakliyat said...

BBC inter-city and inter-city cargo storage items, our company is part of the shipping company first comes to mind at the mention of the transport SOME SITE CHARACTERISTICS
Gebze evden eve nakliyat
Şehirlerarası evden eve nakliyat
Şehirlerarası evden eve nakliye
Şehirlerarası nakliyat
Şehirlerarası nakliye
İstanbul evden eve nakliyat
Şehirlerarası evden eve nakliyat
Evden eve nakliyat
baza
Bazalar
Gebze evden eve nakliyat
Darıca evden eve nakliyat
İzmit evden eve nakliyat
Thank you thank you for choosing us

Dr Nirankush said...

Sir,it was a pleasure going through the information.

seogenc said...

Gebze evden eve nakliyat

Gebze evden eve nakliyat

tuzla evden eve nakliyat firmaları

Çayırova evden eve nakliyat
Mutlukent evden eve nakliyat
Derince evden eve nakliyat
Sapanca evden eve nakliyat
Gebze evden eve nakliyat
Darıca evden eve nakliyat
Şehirlerarası evden eve nakliyat
Değirmendere evden eve nakliyat
Başiskele Evden Eve Nakliyat
Körfez Evden Eve Nakliyat
Dilovası Evden Eve Nakliyat