Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Cool and wet and good...

I've been burned in the past by hot temperatures in Palm Desert and Palm Springs when we were supervising construction of projects back in 2004 up to 2007...but I have never, ever been in temperatures in the 120's; unless the thermometer in my car is off and it ain't, I saw 128 in the car around 3 in the afternoon...so, what did I do to keep the car cooler? I drove around the apartment project to a dark and shady corner of the site where we had helped move Sarah and her family...I ran back at a blistering hot speed to the apartment knowing it would be worth it when we got back in the car in a few hours.

When we first drove into Palm Desert on Hi-way 111 yesterday morning everything looked hot and dusty...and it was hot and dusty, hot? like it was hot in the car with the AC turned on to max...when we drove thru the center of town it was noticeably semi-vacant...only a few old-folks with umbrellas going to Starbucks for iced lattes...young people were nowhere to be seen...I wondered where they could be...working? maybe, but maybe none of them lived around here...yeah, that was probably it...

We spent several hours emptying the U-Haul truck of a household full of stuff...we got hungry as might be expected and thirsty...we drank water all day and I was elected to go on a food run...I literally ran to my car...well, not at full speed trying to get out of the sun as soon as I could, and finally made as I clicked it unlocked...
Surprise, surprise...I turned the motor on and looked down at a 113 degree reading on the dial...113 in the shade...Holy Hell is what it was...

Looking back and from now on when we visit Sarah (it will be winter) no...we won't even look at the temp gauge...it will be cooler not knowing how hot it is...you know what I mean?

But in the end helping Sarah get into a new home was quite satisfying and the apartment happens to be only one block from her Native Foods store she'll be managing...life will be good...oh yeah, did I mention her apartment has 4 pool and jacuzzi areas and her unit has one at the foot of the stairs to her front door...life might be hot but it will be cool and wet and good too...

1 comment:

Julie Hibbard said...

four pools and a cacoozi! Damn, I think I might go at night time. I don't know that I have ever been in 128degrees. Sounds like 'fry an egg on the sidewalk' hot!
Does not sound like my cup of tea.
But I will want to see those kids soon. Sooo happy for them. And so happy for you!