Friday, October 1, 2010

Stogies and bogeys...


A few years ago I played golf at least once a week and sometimes twice; getting together with clients who were my old golf buds was the thing to do...we usually went out early in the morning and tried to make it back to our offices by noon...we didn't eat lunch afterwards and hardly touched a martini...only once in while, well, a few times, OK, if we played fairly quickly and could have a drink and make it back to work by 1:00, we'd have a drink, just one...

During that time there were few better places to enjoy a good cigar than out on the golf course. It was a great way to forget about the fact that we were playing behind four of the slowest golfers in the world that were showing no sign of letting us play through anytime soon. Wrapping our lips around that stogie and breathing in that smooth breath of smoke also helped us forget that club we just wrapped around a tree...not me, well, only once in my life and it was an accident, well, not really, it was an old club and I always wanted to see what would happen...it wrapped around the tree and it was worth it...

I developed a detached retina a few years ago, as well as double vision which kept me from playing golf...heck, I couldn't even drive much less putt...I don't smoke anymore and haven't played golf for a few years...I don't miss the cigars but I sure do miss hitting that little white ball...when the economy improves we're all going out there again and maybe once in a while have a cheap cigar...

1 comment:

Julie Hibbard said...

I wish you could golf every day.
I'll buy the cigars.