Thursday, October 14, 2010

it wasn't the road conditions....

I was driving back from Hemet this afternoon and decided to post this blog as soon as I got home...I couldn't wait to write about frustrations I had on the road today...

A few days ago my car's ignition switch took a dump and had to get towed to the Volvo dealer by AAA...that's not Alcoholics Anonymous...I have a 'premium' card meaning they'll tow me as far as 100 miles instead of the usual 7 or 8, they'll rent me a car for a day while the car is being repaired and pay for one night's lodging if I'm out of town...I took the rent-a-car option at Enterprise where they loaned me a basic white Chevy pickup truck that was already there in the parking lot and it looked good to me...it had a six cylinder engine and I liked the thought of getting good mileage driving to work in Riverside...it had four doors which would be handy if I decided to pick up any hitchhikers...it had been 15 years since I drove a pickup and I was kinda looking forward to it....

As I was leaving the parking lot the Volvo guy (who knows me well for having the car serviced regularly) called to say the needed part was not in stock and had to be ordered from Sweden or Detroit (I think Ford makes Volvos now) and would take two or three days maybe longer to arrive...I wasn't thrilled with the news and had no choice but to call Enterprise and tell them I'd need the rental longer than expected.

OK, so I'm driving the truck, like for the third day in a row, all the while thinking about how I miss my SUV with controls on the steering wheel for radio volume and changing stations and for cruise control...it's been over 4 years since I had to reach the radio dial to turn to Jim Rome...what a pain....I mean leaning over with my eyes off the road for who knows how long...earlier today I was all set up to pass a pokey driver on the freeway and hit the gas but was sadly reminded this truck did not have Volvo turbo power... it has ZERO passing power and I had to fall back into the slow lane...very embarrassing...the Chevy doesn't have a GPS either so I can't afford to get lost...my Volvo affords me the thought that if I'm lost in the middle of L.A. and can't figure out which way north is I can click a button and find my way to the I-5freeway ...
And, would you believe there's no slot to insert an Eric Clapton CD?? there's probably an FM switch somewhere but who listens to music on FM?

But one more miserable defect in this cheap ass truck is not having controls for adjusting the side view mirrors from inside...you have to role the windows down and do it by hand...hard to freaken believe ain't it?

1 comment:

Julie Hibbard said...

Is it a 1957 Ford? I mean Chevy? Geeze, roll your window down? Adjust your own mirror? REACH for the radio station controls? It's like you've gone back in time! Next you're going to tell me you had to get UP to change the channel on your television tonight!
Sometimes we need to have days like this so we appreciate what we really have.
Hope the Volvo (with that kick ass turbo!!) is back in your possession very soon!