Thursday, August 12, 2010

Who’s your grand-daddy?

Kids expect a lot from their grandparents – love, snacks, but mostly a lot of attention, plus chocolate chip cookies… no no… wait… cookies are from grandmas…

I took the day off yesterday and took my 3 and a half year old grandson Ely to the park, and as I was strapping him into the back seat he said:” This is gonna be a good day”…WOW, got me right thru the heart…didn’t know it was that easy to make the kid happy…I tossed his tricycle into the trunk and took off…

On the drive to the park I stopped at a 7-11 for a bottle of water… I had to bring him in, even tho the checkout stand was about 10 feet from where I could see my parked car…as we walked to the cooler to get the water he spotted an orange ‘push-up’ and ‘made’ me buy it… telling him he had to wait until we got to the park to open it didn’t work… he opened it in the car and in about ten seconds it started dripping …then I remembered it’s the reason I bought leather seats…

We made it to the park where he threw the leaking empty-push up in a trash can as he three-wheeled up the concrete walk…
I parked myself under a shade tree as he began digging holes in the sand…we were both sorry I had forgotten to bring his beach bucket and shovel…I know a grandma wouldn’t have forgotten those…
After playing on the swings he climbed up a ladder to the slide only to discover it was burning hot…in park design slides should be facing north and east to keep the afternoon sun off…this slide was facing south and west…bummer of a design...

A young man with his dog walked by and Ely asked him what the dog’s name was…the guy said Scooter…he said that was a funny name for a dog…by then we had polished off the water and he was getting warm and had to take a pee…HOLD IT I yelled!!!I had to stop the kid from whizzing in the sand box and decided it was a good time to head back home…on the way back he ‘made’ me stop at McDonald's for a chicken nugget happy meal and a toy…
We had a great time there as his happy meal toy was a Captain Marvel figure with a shield…the shield had a blue star on it, but he called it a Frisbee…
I’m taking him swimming this weekend hoping he can have another good day…I know I will…

3 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

He is SO dang cute. I LOVE the time I have been able to spend with him too. I'm so glad you have the one on one time with him...THAT makes all the difference in the world.

But a push-up in your car? You're WAY nicer than me, that is for sure!

mic_comte said...

Scooter is not such a funny name for a dog, it is even quite common.

BUM said...

Love this story and you can share my fun with him by taking him more often.