Friday, July 9, 2010

WANT TO SAVE A FEW BUCKS?

Somehow they classified me as a senior citizen before I officially became one...I began receiving AARP monthly magazine the instant I turned 50 and not at 65 like I thought would be official...
So, one afternoon I'm sitting in front of the tube watching a golf match and I pick up the magazine because I left the book I was reading in the car and start skimming thru it and got interested in an article labeled 99 ways to save dollars...hey, I noticed articles on health, shopping, taxes, insurance, home, travel and cars, and I start jotting down the ones that I thought would make a good blog...not 99 ways of interesting stuff but I was particularly interested in things that young and semi-young people would appreciate...I don't think any senior citizens read my blog, if they do they've been too lame to comment or maybe they don't like my stuff...well, to heck with those old people...
  • Lower your thermostat...each degree that you drop, you cut your bill by 3%...
  • Fix that dripping faucet...
  • Shower quickly and get a low-flow shower head...
  • Guys if you use a razor to shave fill the bowl with water to rinse it off instead of leaving the faucet on ...
  • When brushing your teeth the same thing applies...shut of the water while you're brushing...it saves a lot of water on an annual basis...
  • Sell your books...at cash4books.net or sellbackyourbook.com...I checked online and discovered most of my oldest and favorite books were leather bound special editions and not wanted... I listed a few of dozens of best sellers I have laying around but they were not wanted either...but you may have good ones taking up space...it only took me a few minutes to find out...I'll donate to my library soon...
  • Go online to book airline tickets...almost all airlines add a hefty surcharge if you book by phone or at a ticket counter...
  • Flying with extra luggage?...ship it ahead using fedex.com or ups.com Most airlines charge $25 extra for a second bag or charge more if your bag is heavier than what they consider normal...you can calculate whether shipping makes sense for you...
  • Just 10 seconds of idling your car's engine uses as much gas as restarting it...2 minutes uses enough fuel to drive one mile...
  • Wait 24 hours before you buy anything that costs more than $100...If you still want it the next day, buy it...Most of the time you'll forget what it was...

1 comment:

Julie Hibbard said...

Love this!
#1 way to save money: EAT AT HOME
#2 way to save money: drink your coffee at home!
I love a list like this! I am Frugal Frannie at this point!
Woo hoo!