Monday, July 12, 2010

CAN YOU FORGIVE ME?


After posting a semi-anti soccer blog the other day I’m taking back a few of my comments…I take back all the bad stuff I said...

First of all, I watched the entire game Sunday between Spain and the Netherlands and enjoyed the heck out of it…I was especially happy for the time out at half time to get a sandwich and a beer…before the game I spent a few minutes on -line getting answers to soccer questions I had, like what off-sides is, and what do yellow and red cards mean and what are the penalties…

Explanations of off-sides were long and hard to understand and were on several pages but I got the drift…it made a huge difference in my enjoyment of the game even though I thought some of the players faked injuries when a penalty could be called and most of the time it seemed to work for them…in ice hockey if a player intentionally hits the puck out of the arena he’s penalized but in soccer it’s common practice to kick the ball out of bounds…

Not that I’m a big soccer fan now but I liked Spain’s philosophy by passing, passing and more passing until the goal came…Spain can now brag about being the No. 1 (futball) sporting nation of 2010…with Italy’s triumph in 2006 this Spanish win means back to back titles for Europe…

The Netherlands came very close to becoming the little nation that could…

I can hardly wait for Brazil 2014…

1 comment:

Julie Hibbard said...

Shall we plan to go to Brazil in 2014? Yeah, I don't think so.
I don't make fun of it tho, cause I hate when people talk bad about baseball. It always helps to know the rules...and kinda understand what's happening and why!
I did not watch one minute of the World Cup. And not one minute of the Olympics. Never have. Never will.
But...baseball...