Wednesday, April 14, 2010

THE LAST SARDINE

The lone surviving sardine plant in eastern Maine shut down this week after a century of operation. The intensely fishy smell of sardines has been the smell of money for workers in Maine who have snipped heads off, de-gutted, sliced and packed the small silver fish in billions of cans...
Sardines are not one species of fish. Instead they are any of dozens of small, oily, cold water fish that are part of the herring family... I find them yummy with crackers and a beer as a snack. My Dad ate them in tomato sauce, with Chile peppers and mustard and taught me to love them too...
Sardines are still available in supermarkets selling for around $1 a can...I'll remind my lovely wife to pick up a few cans to put in my lunches...they are a tasty treat with sandwiches... not as sandwiches like my Dad used to eat but on the side...
Sardinistas are formulating plans in hopes of returning the lonely sardine to the American palate as they are high in beneficial omega-3 acids and are among the healthiest seafoods around...

2 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

Where will they be canning them now? I don't think I ever had a sardine! How did that happen? How did I never eat one with Grandpa OR you?
OHHHHH....the smell! Yeah, that's it! I think, occasionally, I have had a sardine FLAVOR on my ceasar salad...I think I kind of like that!
I hope mom buys you lots of cans sardines! And more!!

Gina Vistaunet said...

This is so funny! When I saw that on the news, I instantly thought of you! I have never had a sardine either, but I'm pretty sure I'm good without ever trying one!!!

I'll buy you some. I'm sure they will have lots at the .99 cent store soon!