Tuesday, March 31, 2009

MORE BITS AND PIECES /REFUGE OF AN OLDER MAN



 







The golf vacation…

Having recently been fortunate at the time to purchase a 1986 911 Carerra we could hardly wait to drive up Hi Way 1 up the coast to meet three golf couples in Pebble Beach… Instead of battling the two lane road they had decided to drove up Hi Way 101… the curves and out of state traffic  followed the contours of the coastline were always congested and slow…the ocean views were and still are incredible and if you’ve never driven it, you gotta do it at least once…

For several miles we’d been following a car pulling a trailer, with Nebraska plates, if it matters, going about fifteen miles an hour…the driver and passenger had to be world class gawkers…I could picture the driver saying “Look Martha, on the rocks below, those must be California seals we’ve heard about”…first chance I had I dropped into 3rd gear, stomped on it and before I noticed we were going 105 miles an hour…now THAT was a cheap and fun thrill!

After meeting up with our friends in Monterey and enjoying a fabulous dinner we made it to our hotel to get ready for the next day…

We played our first round at Pebble Beach then at two nearby seaside courses…I won’t bore you with hole by hole accounts even though some days we played through what seemed like all four seasons…the only thing tougher than escaping those seaside sand bunkers was the restaurants in town…

On our way back, having played three days in a row, playing golf was the least interesting thing for me…but with no regrets about the food and wine…

And, as we pulled into our driveway, I could hardly wait to play the next week…

1 comment:

Julie Hibbard said...

GREAT post! I can SEE you driving that GORGEOUS car! Man, I loved that car too!!! Golfing at Pebble Beach is the ultimate (so I've heard...)
So glad you have such WONDERFUL memories of good times.
Many more to come!!!