Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Experiencing the way we age...


A Christmas party…

Last evening we partied at the ‘old folk’s home’…no, no, no, no….not where we live but at the 'home' where my mother is a patient…

The Christmas party was being celebrated by the staff for the patients along with their families… food was prepared Filipino/Asian style and was outstanding…a lot of children, sons and daughters, grandchildren, friends and relatives…the food, along with hot cider, cookies and cakes was enjoyed by all…then gifts were handed out to the patients from the staff…lotsa fun for all…I had been asked weeks before if I’d dress up as Santa Claus but declined…it’s not my thing and in all the excitement didn’t want to get grabbed by any old people…

As some of the crowd was leaving, some having come by an hour or so before we got there, young girls and boys were instructed by their parents to be sure to wish all the patients a Merry Christmas as they were leaving…I was sitting in my Mom's walker next to her and she in a wheel chair, when a sweet young girl said to me: “Merry Christmas mister, I hope you get well soon and I’ll be sure to come by to see you next Christmas”.
(if I'm still alive I want a wheelchair like the one above)...

4 comments:

Gina Vistaunet said...

Sweet ride! I want one too!

Julie Hibbard said...

Is it a Mercedes Batmobile?
Sad story tho...I believe it is embellished a bit tho. I don't think anyone thinks you are a patient there. Come on...
:)

PETE Di LALLO said...

It's 99% unblemished...I was sitting on the couch next to mom and not in her walker...98%?
I swear to God the little girl said that to me! Maybe I should have shaved and worn a hat...
and I really love that wheelchair!

Heather McTaggart said...

I want this chair NOW! After days and days of shopping for 14 Christmas Service meals, I am ready to move around in ONE OF THESE! I will admit to being old if I could use one of these NOW!