Thursday, May 17, 2007

A ' Best Of' ' letter...

Sarah traveled a lot before she settled in Hawaii…nine years ago while looking for a job in Denver she received this email from me…Having a burning need to blog today I found it in my word file under Pete’s letters and thought I'd share...

March 25, 1998

Dear Sassy D.

After talking to you this morning I had to find time to write an inspirational letter, for you and me. While in the middle of designing some of my best stuff I heard the e-mail calling me to get started.
You don’t have to look very far to realize there’s a frenzy out there to find the secret to the perfect life, much like my search for the perfect golf swing. (Still looking). Most golfers assume there’s some hidden secret that can be discovered in a club or putter design, a golf guru, golf books and magazines. But like most things in life, the true secret to playing well lies in dedication and commitment.
Life is so very much like golf that every day is a new course with twists and turns, ups and downs. You hit one of those downs today that you can learn from and prepare for the future. You learned a new rule today, but you luckily have an unshakable foundation that comes from inside you, probably not inherited.
Not to sound corny or preachy, but every night I say prayers for each of my daughters, it’s pretty simple…. 5 Glory Be’s for each of you. When Debby was in Europe and Israel, you were in Michigan and briefly in Denver a month or so ago, I did the same thing, and it works. Tonight I may say a couple of dozen extras for ya!
It’s like warming up before playing golf. The same is true in our walk in life. We need to spend time each day warming up before we head out to face our various responsibilities as employees and friends, and fathers and mothers. It’s kind of a spiritual warm-up for a fulfilling life. (OK! So now you know that I’m a closet prayer guy).
But I do love to compare golf to life; you landed in a bunker today!
Continue to be strong and courageous, abounding in hope, persevering and confident. You are all those!! And more amazing things that I discover almost each time we talk; it’s in your heart and soul. Only you have it.

By the time this letter reaches you, you’ll probably have ten new jobs. I’m not worried and neither are you I’m sure. We know there will be adversity in our lives. We can count on it just about every day. And some days it will be more troubling than others. Focus on the target, not the adversity. Then when you miss a shot, you won’t think of what you did wrong. Come up to the next shot thinking of what you must do right. (You’re probably saying right now, God he’s good tonight. How does he come up with all these golf metaphors) I don’t have a clue. I just know I missed a lotta shots in my life. Golf is the only sport where there are more teachers than players.
And maybe the strongest ingredient in the makeup of a champion is patience. We both gotta get some.
Hope you don’t feel I stepped ‘out of bounds’ .
Love and 22 kisses
Happy Twenty Second Birthday Baby Sarah.
Pete

4 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

Wow! What a great letter. Do you have one for me? I think the whole thing is so well done. With love.
You are such a good dad.
:)

PETE Di LALLO said...

You've always been within 'talking distance'...Sassy was 1000 miles(?) away...took me a long time to write; I couldn't talk for that long a time...we were poorer then...
May write you one if I think time is right...
love and '?' kisses on your upcomimg b-day...

Gina Vistaunet said...

You are a closet prayer but that is a very nice letter. Like Julie said, do you have one for me? I thought I was your favorite.

Allison said...

you're the cutest Papa ever!