Friday, January 28, 2011

DAWN OF THE CRONY




For too many years I’ve had piles of candles on my birthday cakes but always less than the right number…I’ve never had a cake large enough…On my last l birthday I found 6 candles on one side of the cake and 9 on the other…even that was like a baby inferno.

It’s going to get worse…the big 7-0 is sneaking up on me.

In a few months I’ll be turning 70 and I’ve never felt better even tho I drive over a parking lot curb once in a while. I remember my Dad turning 70 and I thought wow, he’s an old guy. Now 70 doesn’t feel that old anymore and I don’t feel like I’m 70 unless I look in the mirror; and I rarely do that except to work on my comb-over and I won’t be doing that for too much long either.

I’ve always known that if I lived long enough I would be 70. I can hardly remember my other big birthdays like 40, 50 and 60 but I’ll never forget this one if I make it to my birthday. Turning 70’s been foremost in my mind for a long time and I began writing this early for my own satisfaction in case I croak before.

In the L.A. Times obituaries I read too often that people my age die of ‘natural causes’ all the time; sometimes no disease is mentioned. It’s scary reading about people dieing for no other cause than being old. I’m going to love getting birthday wishes from my undead friends.

I’ve always been a car lover and in recent years totally new models have come out: cross-overs, SUV’s, hybrids and smart-cars. I’ve always taken pride in knowing car names but have you noticed how many of them now have just initials or logos making it almost impossible to know what kind they are? What makes me know I’m getting old is seeing cars that have unusual and unbelievable equipment on them like backing-up rear-view-TV’s, even some that park themselves... it's not hard to handle GPS’s and CD players with dozens of speakers all over. My favorite are DVD’s that keep children quietly occupied. We have a DVD player in our car and the grand kids love to watch movies on long trips... we love the quietness. The only thing that hasn’t changed is: “Are we there yet and how many more miles?”

I’m thinking of buying an E-book so I can sit in the living room with my wife while she watches TV; with it I could read James Patterson and Clive Cussler best sellers without turning on a bright light.

The other day I spent a few hours in a used book store and bought a bunch of paperbacks…a few of them will be hard to read because of small font sizes; I’m told that with E-books the font size can be adjusted… I could get used to that… but I have to do some hard thinking before buying one.
There’s a lot of pleasure in reading traditional books because I like their smell and feel and I like to high-light and jot notes in the margins…plus they make good doorstops.

(Note: The used book store is behind Coco’s restaurant in Laguna Hills...when you buy two books at half the cover price the third book is free…such a deal!)

I’ve been blessed to have worked for and with great people since I began my business, are you ready for this, in 1971. I still have clients who have been good friends for years… I even have relatives I can call friends. (And it’s not because most of them live in Montreal.)

I’m thankful for having played golf with the best golf pals a guy can have. Being older you have to put more work into golf, like hitting the practice range a few times a week and I know that, but mentally I don’t want to keep doing that anymore. Maybe that’s why I love to read more and more... sitting outside in the shade, sipping lemonade and reading a book is very cool and almost as much fun for me as golf used to be.

Joining me in celebrating 70th birthdays are Ringo Starr, Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Paul Mc Cartney and Mick Jagger who is reported to have said several grandchildren ago: “I’d rather be dead than sing ‘Satisfaction’ at 45”.

This is the year that I’ll be getting rid of a lot of stuff… I’m ready to acknowledge I have too much and I need to live more simply. I’ll celebrate my upcoming birthday with family and friends and have a nice quiet dinner…well, maybe not that quiet…It’s the year in which I’ll dance to my own songs.

It’ll be the celebration of my entering life as an official old Crony…

Gloria Steinem said it best on her 70th birthday:

”This one has a ring of mortality”.

1 comment:

Julie Hibbard said...

There is still only one alternative to getting older and the older you get, the longer you live.
It's a proven fact.
Your parents BOTH lived into their 90s--on their own!
I WORK with people who are in their 70s...and they never stop. Just like you.
I think it's BEAUTIFUL. I think it's AMAZING! You have no choice but to admit that you are a strong, vital, active 70 year old man...and that it's the youngest you are ever going to be!
You are in GREAT company with Paul and Mick. And I am sure Mick was 19 when he said that about singing at 45. He hasn't stopped yet. And I'm so glad! I do believe Harrison Ford is right behind you too. Hubba Hubba.
I say, change your thought to "How great to BE 70!"
To SEE life from this perspective, all you've accomplished and be able to KNOW the love of children, grandchildren and HUNDREDS of true, life-long friends! Life is SO good!

If you live as long as your mom, you've got a good 25 years to go.

Let's start thinking that this is an amazing birthday CELEBRATION coming up.
Cause it certainly is.